KINGSDOWN SCHOOL VACANCIES
We currently have one vacancy:
Salary: Starting salary equivalent to NHS Band 5 (Point 22) pro-rata
Hours: 28 hours per week term time only and 1 week in the summer holidays (one year fixed term contract initially)
Kingsdown is a special school and is part of a Multi Academy Trust known as SEN Trust Southend. We are a school for pupils aged 3-14 years who have severe learning difficulties, profound and multiple learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities and associated learning difficulties.
We are looking to appoint a Speech and Language Therapist. Based at Kingsdown School, you will provide specialist Speech and Language Therapy to our pupils, working closely with the school’s teaching staff. Ideally you will have experience of working in a Special School environment.
The pupils attending our school have a range of complex needs including SLD, PMLD, Autism, ADHD, feeding and swallowing difficulties and a range of complex language difficulties.
Our school is committed to a multi-disciplinary approach and sees the role of a Speech and Language Therapist as one where their work is in the classrooms alongside teaching and support staff for part of the working day. The remainder of the time will be used to work with individuals or small groups.
As a qualified Speech and Language Therapist, the following criteria are essential:
- Recognised and relevant Speech and Language Therapy degree, and HCPC Registration.
- To ensure that the speech and language practices employed at the school are complimentary to the advice and guidance offered by the Local Health Authority Speech and Language Therapists.
- Experience or willingness to learn about pupils with complex needs.
- To work with identified individuals or small groups of pupils within the school.
- Experience with carrying out and analysing assessments, therapy planning and making recommendations for annual reviews.
- Experience/interest in supporting teaching staff and pupils within a classroom environment.
- Knowledge of a range of assessment tools and evidence of skilled application
- A genuine empathy, respect and understanding for young people with disabilities and learning difficulties are essential, as is the desire to help them succeed in education and independence despite any communication barriers and challenges they may face.
Kingsdown School is committed to safer recruitment to safeguard and promote the welfare of our pupils, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants will be required to undertake pre-employment checks which will include
References, Health, Right to Work in UK, DBS check.
Visits are essential to understand the school context and nature of the special educational needs of the pupils in the school, please telephone to make an appointment.
- Closing date: 15 February 2019
- Interview date: 06 March 2019
Information for all Applicants
Kingsdown School takes very seriously its responsibility to protect and safeguard the welfare of every pupil on roll, and is committed to safer recruitment in order to safeguard and promote the welfare of our pupils, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Applicants will be required to undertake pre-employment checks which will include:
- Right to Work in UK
A Declaration that they are not a disqualified person under the Childcare (Disqualification) Regulations 2018.
Candidates will be expected to complete the school’s application form, whether or not they submit a separate Curriculum Vitae.